During the dogs days of summer it’s hard to turn down a bowl of cold gazpacho. In fact, gazpacho may just be summer’s best cool-down meal. And can we talk about the nutritional contents of gazpacho? Tomatoes are an excellent source of vitamins C and K. Red bell peppers are an excellent source of vitamins A, B6, and C. Cucumbers are an excellent source of molybdenum and vitamin K. And jalapenos are an excellent source of vitamin E.
Meatless Monday Gazpacho
- 3 pounds tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients into a large bowl. Cover bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Place chilled mixture into a blender; puree the vegetables until smooth. Strain the gazpacho back into the large bowl. Season with salt and black pepper before serving. SERVES 8
- The above recipe is a classic gazpacho, but you can play around with tastes and textures to make gazpacho your own. Add chopped red onion and minced garlic cloves, or some of your other favorite vegetables. For flavorings, add a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce, lime juice, or balsamic vinegar.